Sunday, March 18, 2012

More I've Been Cooking Lately!! (Chicken Enchilada Pasta)

Look at me, cooking up a storm! heheh My boyfriend is going to die of shock. But not before I write about everything I have cooked so there is some concrete proof that it is happening.

This was another Pinterest find. And it's NOT for the crock pot! The original recipe came from this blog, but I made a few personal changes... Behold, Chicken Enchilada Pasta!


Ingredients required:
  • chicken (shredded, I bought a whole one from the store and shredded it all up. 2-3 breasts worth of meat)
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • 1 {4 oz.} can diced green chilies
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 2 {10 oz.} cans green chili enchilada sauce
  • 2/3 cups red enchilada sauce (I think I used more than this, maybe a cup.)
  • 2 cups shredded cheese (I used a Mexican cheese blend.)
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • Penne pasta
  • Optional additions/toppings: diced black olives, corn, jalapenos, fresh tomatoes, avocado... use your imagination!
The first thing I did was chop the veggies and get the water boiling for the pasta, since my chicken was pre-cooked. Toss the red pepper, onions, and garlic into a pan of hot olive oil and saute for a few minutes. Once they are getting tender, add the chicken, enchilada sauces (red and green), green chilies, and all the spices. Stir to mix and let this simmer for about 10 minutes.
Then you add the cheese!! And stir until melted. Mmmmm, melty cheesy goodness.
In the meantime the pasta should be cooking!

After the cheese is melted, reduce heat and add the sour cream. You DO NOT want the sour cream to come to a boil. (It could curdle. eww!! That just sounds gross and I have never had first hand experience with it.) Continue stirring until the sour cream is mixed in and the whole pan looks creamy and delicious! (Should have grabbed a pic at that point but it was smelling so yummy I just rushed to the end!)

That's basically it! Drain the pasta, mix in the chicken enchilada cheese extravaganza and garnish to taste! (Another picture I missed, my boyfriends outrageously garnished plateful of food! Avocado, 3 kinds of salsa/hot sauce, extra cheese, sour cream, fresh tomatoes...etc) *Sigh* - I learn with each post. :-)

Hope you enjoy if you try this, we sure did!!


No comments: