Friday, March 2, 2012

Crock Pot Love!

So proud that this was featured on a weekly round up of Pinned it Made It posts at:
Finding My Way in Texas


I requested and received a Crock Pot for Christmas. As previously mentioned, I am not much of a cook, but I am trying to get better! I figured throwing stuff in a pot and turning it on was right up my alley. So far it's been a big success! Since Christmas I have made quite a few dishes, and the majority of them were a big success.
The first attempt was a pretty basic pot roast. I got the recipe here (via Pinterest, yay Pinterest!) and it lived up to it's billing of easy and delicious. I bumped up the water a bit as well as probably used more veggies than she mentions, but I was using a large CrockPot and I didn't want it to dry out while I was at work!

What you need:
  • around 3+lb beef roast (seems like groceries stores in various regions name the cuts all different names. I think i had a "chuck roast")
  • an onion chopped into large pieces
  • little red potatoes (i used maybe 20 potatoes? the pot was packed but the meat/veggie ratio was good)
  • carrots (3-4 large?) largely chopped
  • 1 packet ranch dressing mix (dry)
  • 1 packet brown gravy mix (dry)
  • 1 packet italian salad dressing mix (dry)
  • 2 cups water
Start packing everything in, with a nice layer of veggies on bottom and the roast on top.I mixed the 3 dry spice packets up into the 2 cups of water and then poured it over the top of everything. As you can see, it was pretty full when I got everything in the pot. Then you just turn it on, and head off to work! When you get home after fighting the traffic (is that only in SoCal?) you have this lovely sight (and the SMELLS!!) to greet you.
I am a big pot roast fan, so I loved this. My boyfriend and his mom both enjoyed it, too. I do think it could have had a little bit more flavor, maybe one more spice packet next time? But the meat and veggies were a great texture and the flavors were really good, if a little light. We had this 2 nights in a row for dinner the week after Christmas. Perfect winter food, even if we don't really have winter here in San Diego.



1 comment:

Melanna said...

I would die without my crockpot. I got one before I moved to college and then only used it to make apple cider that whole first year. But now that I'm married with kids I use it at least once a week and if we're not BBQing in the summer, I'm using my crockpot so as to not heat my kitchen. I think I've only had 2 things not really turn out. Best invention ever! Thanks for linking up to pin-ed it, made it!